This recipe is perfect for those days when you have ripe bananas but no eggs. Mashed bananas can often be used successfully as an egg re-placer, and they work especially well in quick chocolate banana bread like this one.
This extra-chocolaty vegan banana bread gets a double dose of goodness from cocoa and dark chocolate chips. Note that if you want this to be truly vegan, you should make sure the chips have no dairy added (some brands do; some brands don’t).
This produces a rich and moist cake that’s not too sweet and perfect for breakfast or brunch or a late-afternoon snack.
Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Bread From Always Order Dessert
Note: Not all chocolate chips are vegan, so be sure to check out the ingredients list.
Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- 3 medium overripe bananas, mashed until smooth
- 1/3 cup neutral oil, such as vegetable, peanut, or a light olive oil (coconut oil works, too, but keep in mind that it will add slight coconut flavor to the bread)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup nondairy milk, such as coconut, almond, or cashew
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 9-by-5-inch nonstick loaf pan with baking spray or vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, beat together bananas, oil, sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips, then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake about 45-55 minutes, or until cake has risen and is slightly cracked, and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges to loosen and remove from pan.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely.